November 4, 2015

Illustration by Büke Schwarz
 
On This

Sometimes, this, cutting thoughts into clear written pieces, is like exposing an organ to grab it and dash it on paper. It's a martial act, a fight for and against every word I put down. It's bloody. It's bloody annoying. I am annoyed at hitting the letters on my keyboard just to press delete soon after.

This, it constricts me. The freedom allowed in writing constricts me. And yet, I'm urged to open a new page. I eagerly stray into the vast wonderland, where anything, LITERALLY anything goes. Of course, there are signposts to spelling, punctuation and grammar. And yes, there is vocabulary, collocations and style. But most routes are subjective. Directions vary. In the end, the number of words and ways to arrange them remains. Freedom remains.

So, I do what I do. I do what it takes to numb a fickle perfectionist’s pain: I press delete until the page is empty. And after awhile of starring, of hoping for a gracious mood, I resign over the endless opportunities ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment