April 21, 2016

Illustration by Lena Herrmann
 
On the UK (#HappyBirthdayYourMajesty)

Vodka-filled blood bags taped to suit jackets, women in less-is-naked dresses and hats. Countless feathery hats. That’s Twitter today. That’s the English celebrating their Queen’s birthday.

Being German and with that inherently hesitant to take pride in my country, I have always envied the sense of community and tradition the UK conveys. As a child, I ached to wear a uniform. I even collected signatures for their intro-
duction at school. I wanted to be part – not just of a family and a group of friends. I wanted to be belong to something bigger, something like a kingdom, 
a queen.

Although today’s Twitter pictures don’t resemble the clichés I dreamily viewed in my school books, I still get it. I still want to join in. Hand me the scissors. I’m shortening my favourite dress now.


No comments:

Post a Comment