May 5, 2016

Illustration by Lena Kulla


















On the Ease of Moving (#CarpoolKaraoke)

Moving is soothing. On the plane, the train, in the car, by foot, I’m paradoxically slowing down. I slow my stream of thought. I dam it in the proper places. I see! I see what’s always been there and I hold it – a full sentence! I hold it until it streams confidently down my mouth.

The effect is striking! Moving – watching the country, the city, others, me move – is the bliss point of distraction. It allows one to listen, to think, while being so engaged that most ego-driven, excessively self-critical filters are off. Moving brings out people’s purity. It makes one likeable. It makes me like myself. It naturally causes authenticity.

Dear James Corden, perhaps, you should offer Mrs. Clinton your next ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment